Monday, March 3, 2014

Monday Meditation #4

Thoughts on procrastination....

Image Source
 I have been trying to write this post for two days now, funnily enough, it's not getting written not because of procrastination, but because I'm just not quite sure how to start. Which for me, isn't the same thing as just putting it off. Does that make sense? I know for many of you out there who might also struggle with procrastination, it's because there's no clear starting line. You know WHAT you need to do, but that first step getting you to the HOW of doing it, just eludes you. Right?

Sometimes that's why I procrastinate on little things, like doing my laundry (do I separate the clothes? do I want to do sheets or towels or clothing first? Who needs this many pairs of pants?!) or even paying my bills (I should send a check, I'll do it tomorrow, do I have checks? where are my stamps? what the bill's due today?!). But when it comes to the big things, I don't really procrastinate because I don't know where to start, I procrastinate because I'm not sure how it's going to end.

This blog post has fallen somewhere into that latter category, I thought it would be a simple post to write, you know one of those posts that just sort of writes itself? I mean: "Procrastination, it's bad, are you afraid of success or failure? Just get to it!" That sort of thing. Turns out, it's way more complicated than all of that. There are so many revolving factors that might drive someone to procrastinate, some of them I've already mentioned, and others are a bit more insidious, like the fear of not being good enough, or that no one is going to notice, care about or like what you've taken the time to create, so you might as well put it off until the last minute and rush the job.

But don't you always feel better when you get something done and out of the way as soon as possible, or when you actually put time, thought and effort into a project? So why do we choose the instant gratification of delay over the long term satisfaction of just getting the job done?

I really wish I knew. I mean I know that I love being lazy. I will almost choose being lazy over doing things. But I also know that I fear living my whole life without ever having accomplished any of my major goals just as much as I love doing nothing. Quite the conundrum, no?

I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject. So I'll leave you with these 3 questions to ponder:

1. If you do procrastinate, what is the driving force behind putting things off? Is it fear, boredom or just plain laziness?

2. What are some of the tools you use to motivate yourself into action? Do you get pumped up by music, exercise, inspirational quotes or just a long stint of doing nothing that leaves you feeling "recharged" and maybe just a little bit restless?

3. What is one major project that you're currently putting off, and what is one thing you could do to get started and maybe create a snowball effect to actually get that project done?

Bonus question: If you were invited to a dinner party attended by the President, the Queen of England and any of your role models (Business, music, fashion, etc.) What is one project that you would be most proud to tell them about that you're either working on or have recently completed?

Meditate on these questions, comment if you want and I'll do the same! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment